We are looking for a new assistant minister to join the staff team and pastor one of the congregations and have oversight of our youth group. There are other opportunities for ministry in the parish depending on passion, experience and skills.
St Peter’s Anglican Church Nightcliff is a welcoming Bible teaching church full of diverse and ordinary people in the northern suburbs of Darwin. We are convinced that Jesus is alive and worth living for.
We have been meeting as three congregations post COVID-19 restrictions, instead of 2, since Sunday 7th June. We enjoy being a multi-generational church within each congregation, hearing what God says in his word, the Bible, and loving one another. We welcome people of all ages and stages of life, regardless of racial background, Christian understanding, or length of time in Darwin.
Our mission is to help everyone grow in Jesus Christ. Therefore we want to:
- Connect with our community to share the love of Christ;
- Meet to encourage one another centred on God’s word
- Equip each other for godliness and good works
- Send everyone to serve in word and action
Primary role and objectives
We are looking for a godly, theologically trained minister who can preach, teach and train others.
Our pastoral ministry staff are employed to ‘prepare God’s people for works of service’ (Eph 4:12). We want to teach, train and encourage others, in order to grow the ministry.
You will have oversight and responsibility to train and equip the youth group leaders. You can demonstrate wisdom and experience in recruiting, equipping and empowering others for Bible teaching ministries.
There is plenty of scope for broader service within the parish including evangelism, church planting, pastoral care, and indigenous ministry.
- A mature Christian with a commitment to growing personal godliness.
- Support St Peter’s beliefs, values and mission.
- Passionate to see people grow in their ability to teach God’s word to others.
- Competence in recruiting, training and encouraging lay leaders to serve.
- Humility and a willingness to join an existing team and ministries.
- Confidence to adapt to Darwin life and culture.
- Formal theological education.
- Able to successfully complete all Anglican church appointment processes and checks.
- Ordained in the Anglican church.
- Two years ministry experience after theological college.
Conditions of position
Accountability: This position reports firstly to the rector, then to the church wardens.
Start date: Ideally you’d be able to start at the beginning of 2021. If you need to move to Darwin, and are the right person for the role, we can negotiate a start date and pay relocation costs.
Time commitment: This is a full time ministry position.
Remuneration: The Anglican Diocese of the Northern Territory has guidelines for stipend, superannuation, accommodation, annual leave, long service leave, sick leave and workers compensation. Other benefits like ministry expense account, travel allowance, study benefits will be worked out with the rector and wardens. We intend to be generous in providing what you need to live and minister in Darwin.
Due diligence: As an employee of the Anglican Church in the Northern Territory, you will need a national police check, a current ochre card, provide contact details for two referees, and complete safe ministry training.
God willing, the role and responsibilities of the assistant minister will develop over time. Therefore this job description will be revised in October/November each year.